This morning I decided I would clean out the closet in the dining room since there were several boxes that I never unpacked and I wanted to make room for our china that will be deliver in 8-12 weeks. After I cleaned off one self I let Albert climb up there and explore. While cleaning I noticed a lot of mouse poop, yum. Twice last winter we had a mouse in the house. This was one of the reasons we got a cat in the first place. We caught one mouse, but never got the other, we thought Albert must have scared him off. Let me mention that while we are out of the house Albert is only allowed in two rooms, the kitchen and the dining room (he has a tendency to chew on black cords, and well all the electronics have black cords, so we choose to not risk our cat and tv's lives while we are gone). So you figure that if there was a mouse to live in the house he wouldn't choose one of the two rooms that the cat lives in. Also let me mention that we live in an old, with lots of holes. The house was built in 1910 and the landlord has never really resealed the house, so there are really plenty of opportunities for a mouse to get in. So....as I am cleaning I notice quite a bit of mouse poop. I put Albert in the close hoping that he will leave dander and hair all over and that will scare the mouse away. We store our shoes in the closet as well as other junk since we are a bit short on closet space and I have a lot of shoes. I was planning to sort the shoes and get rid of some. Luckily I only wear a few pairs that aren't usually in the closet becaues there was mouse poop on just about every pair of shoes. When I was at the bottom of the pile, the 2nd to last shoe I pulled out had something in it. I still don't know what it was, but I definitely got a bit scared. It looked like dog food, lots of dog food. I went and got a trash bag and put the shoe and the dog food looking material in it and placed the bag outside for Matt to inspect when he finally gets home from Canada in about an hour. I am still traumatized by this stuff. I have never lived in a house that had a dog, while owning this pair of shoes. I know it is not Albert's food because I know that that looks like. Do mice nest in dog food? I went and looked online to try and figure out if it could be the nest, but it doesn't seem that nests normally look like that. Any ideas what it could be? I went to Target this afternoon and bought some mice traps to put. I am hoping we can catch a few, if not I will be calling some pest control folks because I can't have mice living in my house.
Now if you have ever heard about the last mouse, then you will realize I was fairly calm during this whole ordeal. The last time there was a mouse in my bedroom (this was before we were married). I heard some crunching in the middle of the night, like around 1 am or something. I pretty much paniced (how do you spell that word?). I called Matt and he told me to calm down and go back to sleep, like that was going to happen. Eventually I think I just went in the living room to sleep on the couch, making sure to only put one foot down in the room. Matt came over the next morning and put a bunch of traps and we caught the mouse. The main problem with this mouse being in the bedroom was that all of my clothes were in the bedroom. I walked around the house stomping everywhere I went to make sure I would scare the mouse away before I could see him.
So...now I wait for Matt to get home and put up the new traps, so much for having a cat to catch mice. That was my day, how was yours?
10/07/2006
Albert and the mice
This morning I decided I would clean out the closet in the dining room since there were several boxes that I never unpacked and I wanted to make room for our china that will be deliver in 8-12 weeks. After I cleaned off one self I let Albert climb up there and explore. While cleaning I noticed a lot of mouse poop, yum. Twice last winter we had a mouse in the house. This was one of the reasons we got a cat in the first place. We caught one mouse, but never got the other, we thought Albert must have scared him off. Let me mention that while we are out of the house Albert is only allowed in two rooms, the kitchen and the dining room (he has a tendency to chew on black cords, and well all the electronics have black cords, so we choose to not risk our cat and tv's lives while we are gone). So you figure that if there was a mouse to live in the house he wouldn't choose one of the two rooms that the cat lives in. Also let me mention that we live in an old, with lots of holes. The house was built in 1910 and the landlord has never really resealed the house, so there are really plenty of opportunities for a mouse to get in. So....as I am cleaning I notice quite a bit of mouse poop. I put Albert in the close hoping that he will leave dander and hair all over and that will scare the mouse away. We store our shoes in the closet as well as other junk since we are a bit short on closet space and I have a lot of shoes. I was planning to sort the shoes and get rid of some. Luckily I only wear a few pairs that aren't usually in the closet becaues there was mouse poop on just about every pair of shoes. When I was at the bottom of the pile, the 2nd to last shoe I pulled out had something in it. I still don't know what it was, but I definitely got a bit scared. It looked like dog food, lots of dog food. I went and got a trash bag and put the shoe and the dog food looking material in it and placed the bag outside for Matt to inspect when he finally gets home from Canada in about an hour. I am still traumatized by this stuff. I have never lived in a house that had a dog, while owning this pair of shoes. I know it is not Albert's food because I know that that looks like. Do mice nest in dog food? I went and looked online to try and figure out if it could be the nest, but it doesn't seem that nests normally look like that. Any ideas what it could be? I went to Target this afternoon and bought some mice traps to put. I am hoping we can catch a few, if not I will be calling some pest control folks because I can't have mice living in my house.
Now if you have ever heard about the last mouse, then you will realize I was fairly calm during this whole ordeal. The last time there was a mouse in my bedroom (this was before we were married). I heard some crunching in the middle of the night, like around 1 am or something. I pretty much paniced (how do you spell that word?). I called Matt and he told me to calm down and go back to sleep, like that was going to happen. Eventually I think I just went in the living room to sleep on the couch, making sure to only put one foot down in the room. Matt came over the next morning and put a bunch of traps and we caught the mouse. The main problem with this mouse being in the bedroom was that all of my clothes were in the bedroom. I walked around the house stomping everywhere I went to make sure I would scare the mouse away before I could see him.
So...now I wait for Matt to get home and put up the new traps, so much for having a cat to catch mice. That was my day, how was yours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am pretty sure the celebrity birthday thing is full of crap. I just looked at today and it says Martha Stewart was born today in 1922, that makes her 84? I am pretty sure she is not 84, maybe 64, but not 84.
I think that the mouse brought the dog food in from outside. He probably stopped by the dog kennel outside and stuffed his cheeks before coming in to settle down in your closet. We had hamsters who would always snag some dog food after they escaped from their cage on their way to settle down under the couch. - jeni
Post a Comment