10/10/2006

car woes

For anyone who has known for any length of time probably knows that I like to complain about my car, with mostly good reason. It seems either I don't take good care of it (I personally think I take great care of my car, taking to the dealer for every scheduled oil change and other checkup), I have really bad luck with cars, or VWs suck. Personally I think I am going with the last choice. My car isn't that old, it is a 2001. At Christmas-time this year it will be 6 years old, with about 90,000 miles on it. Apparently when I purchased this car I didn't research very well, because it seems that VW are very expensive to maintain and fix. All service is supposed to be done at the dealer using official VW parts. And let me tell those VW parts are not cheap. Also all the dealers suck. Anyways, so in Feb. 2005, a little over a year and a half ago, I needed to replace a CV boot on the front right axle. Before this I had never even heard of a CV boot, but I learned all about them. Ok that was fine, a couple hundred bucks out the window, but I was in good shape. Then in Aug. 2005, I needed to replace the left front CV boot. And in case you weren't paying attention, these repairs were also done at the dealer (two separate dealers, since I was living in two different states during that time). Ok great now I have a pair of new ones that should last another 5 years or so, right? Not so...I had my car inspected a week or two ago and it appears that the right CV boot needs to be replaced again. Just absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to replace them again! The warranty on these of course is just 12 months. When I called the dealer to inquire about how long they should last, he said about 50,000 miles. Hmm...I have only put about 20k on since it was repaired. So either they did a bad job replacing them the first time, I am a terrible driver and somehow destroy them while I drive like a grandma (a whole different story), or something else bizarre is going on. Any ideas? Have you ever replaced CV boots? How long do they normally last? Anyone want to buy my car? Tomorrow I take my car to the dealer, without an appointment!! (Will they see me or will they turn me away?)

1 comment:

Eric said...

Everyone I've ever known with a VW has had the same problems. I thought about getting one then changed my mind knowing that they cause so much grief to anyone who has one.