2/12/2007
two sad things for today
1. While we were at Blockbuster exchanging our movie, a lady walked up to the counter and asked what she needed to get a membership. They said two forms of ID, one being a driver's license and the other being a credit card, no debit or checking account. She seemed sad and went out to the car. We checked out and then out the door. We walked by the lady's car, where the man in the car was yelling and throwing a fit. We felt so terrible for these people. All they wanted to do was rent a movie and they couldn't because they didn't have a credit card. Both of us were instantly sad for these people. Maybe we should have offered to let them use our membership and hope they would return the movie. I always forget how lucky we really are. We take such little things as renting a movie for granted. I don't think it has ever crossed my mind that someone wouldn't rent a movie if they could afford it. Maybe I am just naive to the world around me.
2. I spoke a long time ago about a child I sponsor in a program called CFCA. Today I received a letter that I knew was coming. My child, Margarita, has graduated from high school and so can no longer be a part of the program. They also sent me her farewell letter. Even though I knew this was coming since she turned 18 last fall, I still wasn't really ready for it. So now I will write her a farewell letter and hope that life turns out ok for her. It is so strange to think that someone who I have been writing to and even visited a few summers ago will no longer be a part of my life, even though she will be continuing to fight the poverty that she was born into. I so wish there was a way to continue to support her. But, there just isn't a good way to send money or things to her. She can't afford to go to college, but will hopefully be able to get a decent job since she graduated from high school. So it is with sadness that I will write my final letter to her and will continue to remember her in my thoughts. And I will adopt another child or aging person. I wish I could have visited Margarita again. I wish I could continue to help her or at least be in contact with her. Hopefully the help she received the last 10 years will be enough to get her through life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment