1/30/2007
religion
So I keep thinking of all these 'great' ideas of things to write about, but then I sit down and they become boring. Like dreams, totally boring. And things I want to buy, also boring.
My dear friend, John, proposed a story to Newsweek, and it was accepted! They very, very rarely except ideas from photographers (in fact the current photo editor has never seen it happen). So anyways, it is in this week's issue of Newsweek. He has some additional pictures on his site. And the main reason I am telling you about it, is because it is totally fascinating. It is a story about a guy who claims to be the second coming of Christ. And apparently has a pretty large following, like 100,000 people!
This story goes along with the my whole fascination with religion. I have been reading a book about modern day polygamist families (fundamentalists who broke off from the Mormon church at different times). It is written by two pyschologist type folks. There are also lots of interesting tidbits in the book about other cultures. Last night I read about the courting habits of different cultures, and our American courting rituals are quite boring compared to some. My favorite was the Nuer culture in Africa. Basically the woman (if the woman is doing the courting) steals a cow from the man's herd of cows and brings it home to her father. If he disappoves they return the cow, otherwise the keep it and enter negotiation with the boy's family.
That's all for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment