8/18/2006

treasures

Mom and I looked through lots of Grandma's stuff and we found some really neat (at least to me) things. *Grandma always wore a wedding band, but one that was different than her original one. I never knew she even had an engagement ring. We found it missing the diamond, but the diamond was wrapped up in a piece of plastic. We also found the matching wedding band. I am going to get the engagement ring repaired. *My great-grandmother's wedding ring. It is so lovely, but in need of repair and missing a teeny-tiny diamond. I also want to get this repaired. *A vintage Lilly dress with monkeys on it. It is bright blue and green and looks like it was never worn. My mom thinks it might have been hers, but she doesn't remember. For some reason Grandma cut the seems almost the whole way up. Hopefully I can fix the dress and then wear it, it fits perfectly except for the whole exposing my whole abdomen. *A pink and white checkered leisure suit. Really just a lovely relic from the 1970s. The jacket fits nicely, hopefully I will be invited to a 1970s party sometime soon! *The dress Grandma worn to Mom's wedding, classic 1970s fancy dress. *In just about every sweater was a pile of tissues. Grandma always had tissues with her at all times, even though she rarely used them. I am pretty sure between all of the sweaters and jackets we had a whole box of tissues. *Old letters that Grandma's sister, Margaret, had written to Grandma when she was sick (and I think near her death) in the 1950s. *A little photo album called "Grandma's Brag Book" filled with pictures of ME! I knew I was her favorite :) (Actually she probably just filled it before the others were born.) *Tons of old photos from when Mom was little. Lots of pictures of random family members who I never knew because every died long ago. *My Grandma and Grandpa's passports from the 1970s when they retired and set out to see the world. *All kinds of sewing things: a jar of buttons, numerous patterns, material, thread, and other misc sewing items. My favorite was the jar of buttons. That is about all I can think of today, I am sure we found other great things. I love old stuff.

No comments: