Grandma died on Sunday, July 30, 2006, at around 5:30 pm. She will be missed by all, especially me. I went home last Monday evening. I spent most of my days and some of my nights at the Hospice House with Grandma. The previous Friday, July 21, Grandma had a biopsy on a tumor growing in her bladder or uterus area. On Sunday she awoke with terrible pain in her legs. By Sunday evening Mom took her to the hospital because she couldn't get the pain to go away. Monday afternoon she was transferred to Hospice. They couldn't determine what was causing the pain, but I suspect the tumor had grown so much that it was pinching a nerve or blood vessel. At the beginning she was eating and drinking a little bit each day. By Friday she wasn't eating or drinking at all. On Saturday, Grandma was pretty alert and I don't think she slept at all on Saturday night. On Sunday, Nell and Kit (very close family friends, pseudo-grandparents) came over to see her. Matt and I left after a little while. Nell and Kit were there with Mom when Grandma stopped breathing. The rest of us were there a short time after. Earlier in the week Catherine had brought a picture of Grandpa when he was in his 20s or 30s over to her room. We showed it to her and she brough it to her lips and kissed it. It was the sweetest thing ever and a great final memory of Grandma. While we wish she could be around for longer, she is now no longer in pain, and she lived a good full life for 95 years. Her obit, written by Catherine, can be found here.
Grandma and her girls on her 85th birthday!





No comments:
Post a Comment