2/14/2007

Me, Me, Me

This post has been a while in the making. I am sick of rude, inconsiderate people who think the world revolves around them. Granted everyone can act that way on occasion, myself included. And of course there are some nice people out there as well. But in general it seems to be so much worse than a couple of years ago. When did everyone become so Me-first? The event that sparked this post today occurred this morning on the drive into school. We arrived at the parking lot (myself behind the wheel), and swiped our parking pass to let us into the gate. Someone driving a blue civic, with the license plate AYR 9308 (NY plates) decided they would piggy back into the parking lot behind me. Now if you ride with me to school (only Matt), you know that this has occurred several times in the past few months. Of course it only occurs when I am the one driving. Often the folks have permits but are just too darn lazy to actually stop and swipe the permit, which clearly says I am in too much of a rush and my time is more valuable than someone else's so I will just piggy back on in. Today however, the fellow behind me did not have a parking permit, so I slammed on the brakes. In most cases I would try and back up until the gate closes, but Matt said no and so I listened and kept going. He is afraid of someone attacking him because I loose my temper, and they are afraid to hit a girl. There was also a long line of vehicles behind him, which would have caused more of a problem. So I took down his license plate number and reported him to campus police. I really hope they gave him a ticket. Now really why the heck do I care so much? I honestly don't know, but it irks me so much when people break the rules, especially when it is totally laziness or me-firstness. It is a common occurrence around here for the undergrads to piggy back into the good parking lots because they are too lazy to go to their parking lots (which are further away from the e-school), or because they are late because they were irresponsible and didn't wake up on time. Either way, I don't feel sorry for them one bit. In general there seems to be this whole entitlement attitude around here that I just can't stand. I don't remember it being as pronounced at the other places I have been, but maybe I am just now able to actually see it and recognize it. Sure there has always been the occasional person who thinks they are entitled to the world, but it seems there are a great number of those people around here. One example that I seem to experience on a semi-regular basis is me asking someone when they need me to be somewhere (therefore allowing them the choice of time), and then I show up at that time, and they don't show up for another 30 minutes or so. Really how rude and inconsiderate can you possibly be. Apparently whatever you were doing was more important than what I was doing. Another example is quite prominent around here as well, and I think in the general population. It is the I am older, wiser so therefore you must do all the crap work and I get to boss you around. Someone asks for help from an older, wiser individual and that person says that they can't help, but to ask this lowly, slightly younger and slightly less experienced person instead. Really just get off your butt and help the person for the two seconds it will take. You aren't that great. This seems to be especially apparent in the whole residency program. My first year sucked, so yours shall as well. Too many people with a little bit of power is a bad thing around here. They think little power equals big power, when really it still just equals little power. Ok I am sure you are sick of reading my ranting and raving, but some things just can turn me from a very pleasant mood into a terribly rotten one, like this morning. Let's just all be nice, polite, and considerate to each other and stop thinking about ourselves, but rather think about those around us and how we can make their lives easier.

No comments: