11/08/2006
Making friends
I was home this past weekend to help my mom with the cleaning of grandma's house and also to see my ma and pa since I won't be home again until Christmas. As luck would have it one of my best friends from high school was in town for a family function. While we were out at lunch, we were talking about making friends at this stage in life, neither of us seems to have really figured it out. I figured since most of the folks who read this blog are in the same stage or close to it, maybe you have some suggestions.
Basically, Matt and I work on the same floor that he has worked on for the last 4 years, so we know everyone around here. Many of our friends are still single and into going out every weekend to the bars and staying out late. Well we (or at least I) am an early to bed kind of girl and don't really like bars to begin with, even if we go early. So since we work in the same place, we pretty much have the same opportunities for friends. So where do we meet people?
I have thought about joining a group or two at church, but most everyone there is older and has multiple children, not that I have anything against children, but people children tend to have less free time to hang out. Plus the majority of people who are usually involved in church groups tend to be extremely devout and might get offended if someone said a bad word or something. And really I don't want a friend who might get offended really easily.
I started volunteering at the hospital a few months ago hoping to meet some nice folks, but really the nurses are busy and there isn't anyone else around to chat with, it isn't exactly a group activity. So...suggestions, where do you meet friends when you move to a new city?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hmm...ways to make new friends. I've always thought that hitting potential friends over the head with a large club and dragging them home for dinner and board games was a pretty straightforward way. It has about a 50/50 chance of yielding positive results. It also has about 50/50 chance of resulting in restraining orders.
A visit to Railroad Video always worked for me.
Ah... give the church people a chance. It's pretty easy to tell which ones are going to be cool. Wish you lived in NY, we literally do have to hit people over the heads to play board games with us sometimes!
Post a Comment